Maintaining your Pearls
- Put your freshwater pearls on after you apply your makeup and perfume. This will ensure no foreign substance is deposited onto the pearls, dulling the shine.
- Always remove any freshwater pearl jewellery before applying body or hand lotion.
- Always store your freshwater pearls individually in a soft cloth or pouch. This will ensure they won’t rub against each other, scratching the surface. If this isn’t possible, at least ensure they are not stored together with other gemstones or jewellery pieces, as this would definitely scratch your pearls.
Cleaning your Pearls
- Before you store your freshwater pearls, make sure you wipe them with a soft cloth. Do this as soon as you remove them for the day.
- For dirtier pearls, try cleaning them with a damp cloth. If that doesn’t work, put some mild soap in lukewarm water, and try cleaning with a soft cloth.
- Make sure you let them dry thoroughly before storing.
Pearl Cleaning Don’ts
- Don’t put any of your freshwater pearl jewellery in ultrasonic cleaners. While this method will likely clean any sterling silver metal on your jewellery piece, it will damage the luster of the pearl completely.
- Don’t use any solutions that contain ammonia or other harsh chemicals around pearls.
- Don’t use abrasive cleaners on your freshwater pearls or rub any of your freshwater pearl jewellery with an abrasive cloth. This will rub and scratch the pearl, leaving it lackluster.
To view Stones and Finding’s wide selection of freshwater pearls, please click here .