There seems to be a move back towards basic monotone palettes with a splash of highlight colour for Fall/Winter 2014. Dominating colours are black, gray (varying from soft gray to slate), and chocolate. The highlight colours are jewel tones of emerald, sapphire, amethyst and ruby, while designers interpret this trend with uses of peacock blue, dusty rose, wild orchid (fuchsia/purple).
Here is a summary of international runway palettes by designer:
- Calvin Klein – showing his timeless black, white, soft grays and camel
- Donna Karan – solid colours in chocolate, slate and black.
- Ralph Lauren – soft gray and dusty rose dominates his collection
- Tom Ford – Black & white mixes, chocolate in solids with comically bright prints
- Oscar de la Renta – emerald, teal and wild orchid in his usual glamorous cuts with some baroque prints he has become famous for
- Armani – black, medium gray with pastel highlights and some ruby reds
- Yves Saint Laurent – black is very dominant in their collection this year
- Stella McCartney – a lot of putty and slate with some jewel tone prints
- Missoni – a lot of warm tones of burnt orange, brown and maroon
- Eileen Fisher – her usual comfort knits are showing a lot of black, gray and putty with highlights of jewel tones (most notably sapphire and amethyst)